Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Goodbye Springville High

With having a baby came another change in my life.  I have said goodbye to my job at Springville High School.  I've been working as the theatre teacher at SHS since August of 2006.  It has been an amazing 6 1/2 years at a place that I've loved doing something that I absolutely adore.  On many occasions I would leave the day saying "I love my job!".  Not too many people can say that.  But I truly did.  I know there were times I was there more than home.  Leaving the school sometimes between 10pm or 1am, but it was worth it.  I've had countless students who have inspired me, motivated me and just brought be happiness.  I've done so much in these 6 1/2 years I don't know how I'd ever be able to sum it up!  But here's a little tribute to my days at SHS.

My classroom:


Empty room while they were replacing carpet and about to build a new stage

Entry way to my classroom!  These are the new ones I got half way through my time.

This is when I got my chalkboard replaced with an awesome white board!  Also, I used to have desks but I got rid of those after 3 years.

Side rooms (they're messy because of the carpet replacement).  Left one is the tool room and the other is a free room where we stored paint and books.

Men's dressing room!  Cool spiral staircase, huh?!  It goes upstairs to the girls dressing room.  Yes, these are all within my classroom@

Students in class! 2009

Brand new stage
I had an editing lab upstairs in the room.  It eventually became a prop room after I was finished teaching film.
My office before I left:
Show posters
Students pictures who graduated


My office all packed up...moving on:





Kids hanging out during the show.  It was our greenroom.  There's a couch under them somewhere.  ("My Favorite Year")
The stage in my room was home to many beautiful sets!
Amateurs

Musical Comedy Murders of 1940

Pranks:  
I've had my share of pranks played on me.  These are two from different years on April Fools

My entire entry way full of pictures of me.  On the inside were more and a barricade of the stage blocks.  I had to climb over. 
Full of balloons and crate paper.  The next time the filled my office with 200 folding chairs and all my shrubbery! 

Assemblies:
My first few years I agreed to be the faculty member in the assembly competitions.  After awhile I stopped.  I had humiliated myself enough.

Craziest game ever.  I am piggy back riding another teacher with a raw fish in my hand chasing the students in similar situations.  Person on bottom has a raw egg on the top of their head kept in my nylon over the persons head.  We had to try and whack the egg.  So unsanitary.  I totally didn't win and I smelled like fish for hours and hours!

Crab soccer.  Had our arms and our legs in the arm holes of the sweatshirt trying to score in the other grades.  The goal in the picture is faculty goal.  It's my friend Kristy who taught history and was the track coach.  I was so sore for days!

Parties:

Many cast parties or drama guild parties!  I spent sometimes more hours with the teenagers than with anyone my age. I don't have pictures of many of these only because I know there's already lots of pictures.

We'd usually go out to a restaurant for the drama guild show cast party.  These are the boys of "Musical Comedy Murders" at Brick Oven.
 Random Photo Memories:

New digital marquee announcing our musical in 2009.

Every year my kids would be the actors for the ENT class's mock disaster.  SO FUN!

Me in the sound booth running a show ("Secret Garden").  This is where I sat for every show.  I ran the show with the headset.

I was very loved and during homecoming week my car got tagged!

Some of the cast after "Seussical".  This is in front of my first set of doors to my classroom.

My tech class in front of the set they built for "You Can't Take It With You".  This was my smallest class of tech.  The rest of the years I was at the school is was over 30 kids.  One of the most popular classes.
My first drama 3 class exclusively.  These kids were the first to have me their entire 3 years.

My second and probably favorite drama 3 class (2010).  They were such hard workers and extremely talented.


My parents and brothers came to every show!  This is after "Thoroughly Modern Millie".

This is recently.  Erin getting ready for "Hello, Dolly".  I was a smaller part of this because Riley was born right in the middle of production.

I was in charge of Sadie Hawkins dance every year.  This is me and Keilani (drama guild president) taking money for the dance.

My Choreographer, Tyne.  She worked with me on "Millie", "Music Man"(this picture), "My Favorite Year", "Anything Goes", and "Hello Dolly".  She's amazing.  We both started out single and now we both are married with one kid!

So much support.  These are all people from my ward who came to see the show!

Utah Theatre Association conference and my 2nd student teacher, Briana.  These were such fun outings!  I also was able to have 3 student teachers in my time.  They taught me different things and I enjoyed them a great deal.  Thanks Sarina, Briana and Allison.

A big card signed by the seniors of 2011.

Proof of my job.  Here are my collaborative partners in the Fine Arts!  It's been so fun.  For the last two years I've been the department chair!

Me in my office at my laptop.  I'd have people in my office always.  Sometimes too much!  Kids ate lunch with me every day.

I had a student who drew comics of her time at SHS.  Many of those comics included me in them.  I'm always the one with the keys!
Graduations:

I've had so many students and it has always been fun and sometimes sad to see them graduate!
Kristen displaying my beautiful robe that I wear.

My dear friend Angie who taught business and student council.  We worked on many things together.  We hung out a lot and even emceed the Talent Show once and Mr. Springville.  It was fun but crazy!  (I'm pregnant in this picture).

Me in the robe

After the ceremony in 2010.  So fun!!
This doesn't even touch the memories I've had.  I am sad to say goodbye but excited about my next adventure.

Goodbye Red Devils!!

As just a fun little tidbit and for my memory sake, this is the list of the shows I directed and/or produced during these years:

Seussical (2006)
Diary of Anne Frank (2007)
Rumors (2007)
Secret Garden (2007)
You Can't Take It With You (2008)
Harvey (2008)
Thoroughly Modern Millie (2008)
Murder By The Book (2009)
Steel Magnolias (2009)
Diviners (2009)
Musical Comedy Murders of 1940 (2009)
Music Man (2009)
Blithe Spirit (2010)
Dearly Departed (2010)
Much Ado About Nothing (2010)
* (One Act) Folkwood (2010)
Amateurs (2010)
My Favorite Year (2010)
Love is Contagious (2011)
The Nerd (2011)
Lost in Yonkers (2011)
Finding Hardwick (2011)
Anything Goes (2011)
And Then There Were None (2012)
Hay Fever (2012)
Curious Savage (2012)
*Rules of Comedy (2012)
The Foreigner (2012)
Hello, Dolly (2012)

2 comments:

CL said...

Looking at these makes me sad...for all the students who won't get to have you. I'm sure it was a tough decision to go from one job you love so much to another job that I'm sure you also love. I could tell when I visited and it is apparent from these pictures just how awesome you were/are!! So many students need a teacher like you. I hope your replacement is awesome too!
I'm happy for you to spend more time with your big little guy! I love being a stay at home mommy and I'm sure you do to but I'm so glad you have so many years of awesome memories as a teacher.

Haley said...

This is amazing! I love seeing the pictures of you with your students. They seriously adored you. I wish my clients had liked me that much, ha ha.