Jan '10-- Urinetown. I give it 3 stars. It's very unique, but a little too weird for me to add any more stars. Some really catchy tunes. My favorite is "Run, Freedom, Run"

April '10-- Mary Poppins. What a delightful show! 4 1/2 stars. The first half is what the movie is and then the second half you learn a whole lot more about the Banks family. Really fun. I especially loved that she flew out over the audience at the end. I cried. But I cry whenever there is flying in a show.

April '10-- Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. 4 stars on this. Really fun with lots of laughs. Music isn't quite as catchy. I especially loved when one of the guys spit out a LIVE fish from his mouth into the fish bowl.

May '10-- In the Heights. 5 stars! This show was incredible. I'm addicted. So unique, so upbeat. I couldn't understand some of it because there was lots in Spanish, but it was amazing. I'd recommend it to anyone!

July '10-- 110 in the Shade. Oh my goodness! This was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Audra McDonald (one of my all time favorite actresses) came to little Orem's Hale Center Theatre to perform this show! AND she did it for free for 2 weeks to help them raise money. It was amazing! The show was interesting and full of emotion. They had rain on the stage at the end too. Plus AUDRA!!!

Nov '10-- Shrek the Musical. Going in to this show I was skeptical. "They made Shrek into a musical??" Oh yes and I LOVED it!! 5 stars again. I listen to the music over and over. It was clever and witty and the special effects on stage were amazing. Including an amazing dragon puppet! It's wonderful!

Jan '11-- I know it's just for 2010, but I've seen even more new musical's and I have to share! That's why we have blogs is it not? Every year I take my students to the Utah Theatre Association Conference and we do workshops and see shows and just spend all day doing theatre things.....I'm always in heaven! This year Tuachan High School did "All Shook Up". All songs in the show are made famous by Elvis. It's not about Elvis, but the songs are his. I didn't love it, but it was entertaining and now I can have an opinion about it!

Feb '11-- Spamalot. 2 1/2 stars. There were a couple fun moments and lots of talent because it was the Broadway touring cast, but there were too many sketchy parts to make me want to recommend it to anyone. There were a couple delightful songs in it, but I'd skip it if it were ever to come again.

Up next.... Tale of Two Cities. I see it next Saturday at the Hale in West Valley. I'm SUPER excited about it. I loved reading this book in high school (thank you Mr. Stewart) and I've always been fascinated by the French Revolution. I'll let you know how it goes!!

I'll try to get some updates in about what's been going on since November, but I was just too excited about all of these!

3 comments:
I'm so glad that I got to see some of these shows too! 110 in the Shade was AWESOME!
Oh how I wish I lived closer to you so I could come with you. Of course, I might not be invited :-)
This is awesome! I'm keeping my eye out for a show for my birthday present. I'll forward this post to Aaron!
Post a Comment