I love Saturday night drives in Utah. Why? Because on a radio station they play "Showtunes Saturday Night"! I love listening and singing along and realizing that I'm not the only one who loves to listen to these songs! Anyway, I left Nathan's last night and got in my car and flipped on "Showtunes Saturday Night" and heard a familiar song! However, I didn't know the actual words. It could have been due to a roadshow having changed the words....or some new version of the song my parents had written for a Cootie Party, but no. It was a family classic! It's from the show "Damn Yankees" and they started singing "You Gotta Have Heart. All You Really Need is Heart"! HEART??? Don't you know that all you really need is SKIN!!!!!!!!!!!! My family and cousins can concur that in this case all you really need is skin. "Cause skin's the thing that when you got it outside, it helps keep your insides in!".
**Explanation: I have no idea where it originated from and maybe a family member can fill me in on this, but from as long as I can remember when I'm with my Grandpa Allen or the Allen side of the family, we sing "Skin". We sing these lyrics to the melody of "You Gotta Have Heart" at almost every family get together! Including EVERY WEDDING! It's tradition! I can't wait to do it someday at my wedding!
***Family: Does anyone have a video taping of us doing this anywhere? Any with Grandpa in them??
5 comments:
Not every wedding. We didn't do it at mine. Must have been fun for you to listen to though.
I figured it had to come from some song but had no idea which one. I have no doubt that our version is SO much better than theres. Nathan, if I'd been able to go to your wedding I would have tried to have that tradition included.
I had no idea this was an actual tune to a real song! Now that song is stuck in my head...thanks!
Sadly, I don't even know that song...I'll have to hurry up and learn it before there are any more weddings!
When I learned "Skin" I knew it came from All you Really Need is Heart! But it has been an Allen family tradition and ICON. We sang it at my wedding. We didn't at Nathan's because Grandpa wasn't alive. We sang it as the luncheon for his funeral. I have many fun memories with our family singing that song. I think I have some pictures of it, too.
Post a Comment